Thursday, May 1, 2008

Thursday May 1, 2008

I know, I know, I've been away for awhile but it's really not my fault. You see on Tuesday we finally received our container from the States (Yay!!!) more than 8 weeks after we left, 2 weeks after we were supposed to get it. So Tuesday we welcomed about 10 people from the moving company who they sent to unload and help unpack our things. I've moved a few times and never have I had this many people. So anyway the workers showed up before the container arrived and just kinda lounged around our front yard while Jim and I waited upstairs with Oso in our air conditioned guest bedroom. When I finally came downstairs they had unloaded everything and it was sitting on our front patio so it was my job to look at a box, tell them which room to put it in while Jim checked off numbers on the inventory list. They made quick work of it all considering they just literally formed a line throughout our house and as they handed over a box they told the next person which room to take it to. So back to the reason why I haven't been online. Normally, I guess the movers would stay and unpack everything for us but I had no idea where I wanted everything to go so I just had them place the heavier items where they belonged and sent them on their way. Since Jim and I had set up the desk in our office, he decided to unpack our desktop and get it set up. It took most of the afternoon but he finally got it done only to realize that our new internet connection wasn't working properly on our desktop. So for the last few days it's been like a game: Is is going connect me or not? We still haven't figured out why our wireless network isn't working so for now my laptop is taking a rest.

Since we're coming up on another weekend let me see if I can remember what we did last weekend. Friday we went to Mid-Valley mall to check out a place called Brewballs ( funny huh? I know what you're thinking) It's located at the top of the mall where there is also a movie theater, bowling alley, tons of restaurants and of course shops. It basically was a pool hall with a bar but it played good music and the service was great! Everytime we started a new game, someone would come over and rack the balls for you. After that we ventured close to home and of course ended up at George & the Dragon. Saturday, Jim had arranged with a guy to look at his Jeep Cherokee because he still needs to buy a car. We went into Petaling Jaya and thought we were supposed to meet him at this mall called One Utama but our information was wrong. Jim thought that we would be close enough to walk where we were supposed to be and after about a mile and half he finally hailed a cab to take us the rest of the way. The cab driver was laughing at us because we were all hot and sweaty. I told Jim that from now on if we don't see any other foot traffice then we probably shouldn't be walking. At night we went down the Village and decided we were going to do our own pub crawl ( we're still on the hunt for that dive bar ). We would go to one place after the other and have one drink and one appetizer but only if the place didn't look like a restaurant. There were 2 big soccer matches on that night so most places were lively which made it difficult to choose which ones to go into. I know the majority of them were Indian bars, some were nice, some had critters ( those I did not order food at ), and some were just your run of the mill neighborhood bars. We ate a variety of things from onion rings to japanese dumplings. We finally stumbled across a pub on our way back to our car called Dinty's ( I think ) and it was there that we found a lively crowd, cheap drinks and pool tables albeit british pool but pool nonetheless. We'll probably end up going there a lot even though it's not in walking distance like we had hoped but still it's close.

Sunday, Jim had plans to meet a co-worker for the F-1 race down in the Village at a place called Ronnie Q's so I spent my afternoon at George's drinking margarita's and getting to know the staff better. Already as soon as we walk in you hear "Hi Jim, Hi Steph" I haven't gotten the nerve to let them know my name is Tiffany so I just say Hi back. There seems to be only 2 main bartenders there Mon and Rafael. Rafael is the one who knows the ingredients of the drinks but Mon is the one who can make them better. Since they're always there when we go in I had to ask when do they get days off which I found out is one day a week during the week and if there is a soccer match on that night, they have to stay no matter how late until everyone leaves. So if you know that there is a game still on and it's 2 am then you can go to George's and have a beer. Plus they serve pork so you can have a beer and a BLT.

So now I'm jumping ahead, Tuesday we unpacked some things and Wednesday I spent the entire day unpacking all of my kitchen supplies. I've found out that even though I have a ton of cabinets the majority of them are up high so I had to go and buy a step stool. It's strange because the sinks sit really low, sometimes my back hurts after I wash dishes from leaning over and the cabinets are really high. I don't care I'm glad to have my pots and pans back not to mention real plates and a table to sit at and eat. The picnic's over! Now that I can cook I've noticed something different about my stove, nevermind I have to light the burners myself because it's gas but the oven is electric (? what's that all about?), but also there is no heat control on the burners. When I light it, that's it, there is no simmer, no medium high, no high, just on. Some burners are bigger than the others so when I need to simmer something like rice I have to move it to the smaller burners because it's a smaller flame underneath it. And the oven, don't get me started! There is a knob which controls the temperature and whether it's on or off but then there is another button that you press which controls if the broiler is on or off, easy right? Nope, I've had to play roulette with it because I can't tell. I'm sure in time, or in frustration, I'll get it right.

So that's been my week. Today was a national holiday, Labor Day, so we made the mistake of going to the mall. I bought some plants for my patio and an entertainment center for the living room for whenever my husband decides on what size television he wants. I think he's distracted by buying the car and getting a Malaysian loan for it. I haven't asked about it because hey, it's not like I'm ever going to drive! Tomorrow night we have been invited by one of Jim's accounts to go to a wine tasting. I'm not sure how Jim is going to do but he says that he's been thinking that maybe he should get used to drinking wine because there is bound to be some event where he won't be able to order a beer. I'm not convinced he'll take to it like I have, once a redneck, always a redneck! Happy Mother's Day everyone, I know usually I send cards to all of my mothers, psuedo moms, friends who are moms, grandmas, sister-in-laws, but I'm afraid it's just not going to happen this year and I already feel bad about it but I know you all understand my situation at the moment. Once I get used to the postal system then I know I'll have an easier time of it. Hope everyone has a great and relaxing day. Love you all.

No comments: