Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Thursday April 17, 2008

Hooray, Hooray, Hooray!!! I have been without technology for the past couple of days including tv, and today I finally got an internet connection at the house! It feels so good to be able to use my laptop again. This week I have been hanging out at the house and doing what I can with it. I must say that my efforts for pest control have been paying off because I haven't been visited by any "friends", no bugs, no lizards, and no bats at least what I can tell. I'm also getting used to the neighborhood. Like I mentioned before they are doing construction at the mall around the corner so during the day I enjoy the sounds of hammering, drilling and welding. Jim's boss told him about a park around the corner and down the street so I think it's ok for me to take Oso there and let him run around. It's been difficult walking him because people park on the street everywhere and they block the grassy areas where he likes to sniff and mark his territory which is half the fun for him, so the park may be a good alternative.

I have been to the mall a few times for various things, mostly lunch and cocktails with Jim. I've found that most of the stores inside are useless to me and my needs. I mean I don't go shopping all the time for clothes or shoes. There is the grocery store, but until our things arrive I don't really have the tools to cook much. I bought a cheap set of pots and pans and I've figured out how to turn on the stove ( after a good scrubbing, whoever lived here before us must have fried everything because the knobs were caked with grease! ) without blowing up the block but really haven't had a chance to cook a meal yet because Jim has been getting home late almost every night this week. Plus I got paper plates and plastic silverware ( Jim would kill me if I bought another set of dishes ) but there are no tables in the house yet or chairs so there really isn't anywhere to eat comfortably. In due time that all will be forgotten and I'll have my things.

Like I said Jim has been coming home late the last few nights. Tuesday he had a LG function to go to. I think it was like a launch for their new products coming out. He said that they had a Chinese set menu with fish, chicken, soup and various other dishes put out on a lazy susan for each table. They also gave out gift bags, I know what you're thinking, there should have been something cool and electronic inside but no, only a pair of wine glasses. LG doesn't even make wine glasses! He didn't get home until almost midnight and he said when he left the function they were still serving the meal so he didn't get to finish. He had to get up early on Wednesday so that he and his boss could catch a flight to Penang which is in Northern Malaysia. DHL has a warehouse up there that Harald wanted Jim to see and sit in on some meetings. Penang is also known for the tourist that frequent there so I was interested in hearing about what it was like. Because Jim was working, he didn't get to see much and all he really had to say was that there was a lot of water around. I already knew this because I have been researching places we could go for our 2nd wedding anniversary next month. You can take a ferry from Penang to the island of Langkawi which is tropical and filled with resorts. A lot of people go there because of diving spots, snorkeling and of course because the entire island is duty-free so you can stock up on alcohol to bring back with you. I've mentioned before how expensive alcohol is here even at the warehouse. We priced a fifth of Cap'n Morgan and it was around $50 U.S. normally at home it would have been about $23. Because Langkawi is close we'll probably end up there for our anniversary.

Today I am on the hunt for a vet for Oso. He has skin allergies when he's bitten by bugs and lately he's been scratching up a storm. I had heard that you could purchase prescription animal drugs over the counter here but haven't found anywhere. So I think it's just safer to take him to the vet. Problem is, I don't have a car ( and don't care to drive here ) and Oso isn't allowed on the subway or taxis so to take him anywhere has to be walking. He's also stopped eating his dog food so earlier this week I made a batch of ground chicken with rice and peas for him and he's been eating that. Jim says that he'll never eat dog food again. What have I done!!

I'm looking forward to the weekend only because Jim will be here with me. A person can only spend so much time alone. I have been reading a lot and fortunately there is a bookstore at the mall. I got a membership so I can get discounts, I figure I'll be shopping there a lot. I'll catch up with y'all soon. See you!

No comments: