Saturday, July 5, 2008

Sunday July 6, 2008

Hello, hello, hello! If you haven't seen our new son yet, scroll down a lil bit and meet Sox! I said before that I thought Oso needed a brother so sometime last week after leaving the gym I visited the pet store. There was Sox and his sister just as cute as pie! I fell in love immediately and when Peter, the store clerk took him out of his pen for me he just fell into my arms and showered me with kisses, an instant match. We had to wait a couple of days to bring him home because he is still young but we're really happy to have him all settled in now. He still has a long way to go as far as training goes like last night when we took Oso out for his walk, Sox wanted nothing to do with the leash, he would just lay down in the street until Jim picked him up. Eventually he'll start looking forward to walks just like Oso does. Oso is a little on the jealous side right now but only when he sees me holding or playing with Sox, he doesn't care if Jim holds Sox...Mamma's boy! I would have loved to take Sox's sister home with us too but Jim wasn't having it plus she's a girl. Anyway we are thrilled plus Jim is happy because Sox doesn't bark in the middle of the night, come to think of it, he doesn't bark much at all he just waddles around.

So this past weekend was the 4th of July and it was uneventful. Even though there are many Americans living here there was no advertised celebrations going on. I was a little disappointed, it's like celebrating your birthday by yourself: you want to be happy but there's no one around to share it with. Jim was on a business trip to East Malaysia and a friend of mine Melissa had invited me to go see a Doobie Brothers cover band in Bukit Bintang but by the time Jim got home he didn't feel like driving me so I watched a MTV marathon of Debbie does America. I did manage to have a couple of glasses of wine at Georges, like my own private celebration, and Jim went to City Golf and played on the simulator. I hope everyone else had a good time, I should have had the BBQ where I invited all my Muslim friends but I was afraid they would be scared of the dogs plus I really wanted pork ribs which is a no-no.

Earlier in the week we had dinner at Sim's to celebrate her new job. Yes she has resigned from Georges to get a real job. I'm happy for her but I must admit that I miss not being able to see her when I want. It was me and Jim, Sim's mom and grandparents, Melissa and Kenny ( guy we met on Sim's birthday) and a couple of Sim's mom's friends who are from Denmark. Sim did all the cooking and had a lot to say about her first day of work, mostly complaining about how no one was friendly. I could have told her that considering the number of unfriendly people I've met. We all had a good time plus I think me and Melissa hit it off well. I've met her before but we never really sat down and talked so this gave us the chance and we figured out that we really like each other. She is Chinese but she reminds me of the comedian Margaret Cho from the States, she's really funny. Ever since then we have been texting one another, she doesn't drive here either.

I did have a strange incident happen to me last week. I was at Georges, I think I was writing my last post, I was sitting outside and a man came up to me and asked if I would like to join him and his lady friend. I told him that when I was done writing, maybe, so I did. I can't remember his name but the lady was Brook and she was from Australia and had travelled throughout Asia. The conversation was pleasant enough but then it started getting weird. The guy kept saying to Brook "She's cute, isn't she?" referring to me, and they would look at each other like they were talking with their eyes in code. I started getting a bad vibe, and when Brook went to the bathroom I tried to keep the conversation going. I asked him a couple of questions and his response was very defensive like "Why are you interrogating me?" I apologized and explained that I didn't mean anything by my questions, I was just making conversation. I asked for my bill but the staff at Georges told me that the guy paid my bill. I hadn't ordered anything since coming to sit with them so I didn't think that it was right he picked up my tab so I insisted that he take my money which he took offense to. Finally, I put the money in his shirt pocket and told him to buy some shoes or something with it and they both laughed and he said "My shoes cost more than 120 ringitts", like I insulted him. I quickly said it nice meeting them and goodnight. My impression is this: I think they were swingers and were trying to pick me up. The next day Sim text me to tell me they were in the restaurant again asking for me. Hopefully I will not run into them again, I think it would be awkward.

So that has been my week and I feel pretty good about it, although going to the gym has made me ask myself if it's worth it considering how sore I am. But I really want to stop shopping in the plus size section. Probably won't happen considering I've never been a size 2 or 0 in my life!

No comments: