Sunday, March 30, 2008

March 30, 2008

Ok, so now I can elaborate about what we did this weekend. Earlier my friend Brigit was telling me how disappointed she was that I hadn't updated the blog all week because she's addicted to it, so now she will be happy especially since I've included pictures. Let's see, the reason I haven't written anything until now is because basically Mon-Thurs. I did not leave the block. Oh sure, I went to the grocery store and the other stores upstairs at Hock Choon, but no place else. For one, it was too hot, it's been high in the 90's and low around 75 and that's usually not until night time, two, everytime I did get ready to go somewhere, the afternoon rain would come and I would lose all motivation. Jim did go out during the week, he had a business dinner, his boss's boss was in town and they had a meeting until 8 pm and then went out to eat and then a club. He'll have to write in his own words what kind of club because I can't imagine a bunch of old business men paying a cover charge, getting their hands stamped, and hanging out at the bar. Let your imaginations run with it.

So finally on Friday I remembered that it had been 3 weeks since my encounter with David from England and decided to go back to Chili's in Bangsar to see if he would show up. As you all know I've been playing around with my camera and decided to take you all with me that day. The short video that I emailed did not include my entire day, I just wanted you all to see where we live now and where we will be moving to. Hope you all enjoyed seeing it, now when I mention something you can sort of visualize what I'm talking about. But anyway now I'll fill you in on what I did in between stops. After leaving from our house I went to Chili's and had lunch and waited to see if David would show up and he didn't. I spoke with the same bartender and had a conversation with him about where he was from which was Nepal, where Mt.Everest is located. He said he came to Malaysia just to work at Chili's which I found out later from Jim that a lot of people come from Nepal to work but they can only stay and work for 2 years and then have to return. Supposedly they can never get another work permit in Malaysia after that so just imagine what will happen if I go and apply for one. After lunch I walked around the mall looking for anything, I have had quite a few birthdays that I've missed and a lot that are coming up. I didn't really see anything worth buying and shipping all the way back to the States so I just got a couple of new books to read. Jim text me saying that he would meet me at the shopping center on his way home from work so I went to his favorite hangout George and the Dragon. He arrived shortly after me and we had a couple of cocktails and then headed for home. I do have some video clips of our time at the restaurant and the drive home so as soon as I get done editing them and put together a video then I'll email it out. I want everyone to get an idea of what I'm talking about when I mention the traffic.

Saturday, originally we had planned to go back to Bangsar and check out the flea market but Jim had another idea. On our last trip I got to go to Chinatown but he didn't so that's where he wanted to go. We could have taken the subway but he decided that he wanted to try and drive there. I must be getting used to his driving because not once did I feel scared in the car. We were supposed to be shopping for things for our house but I knew from before that the only thing Chinatown is good for is clothes, watches, shoes, food, sunglasses and knock off designer purses. So we walked around and he bought a Tagheur watch, and sunglasses and I got some bandanas ( because I'm tired of walking around with wet hair all the time) and a purse for my sister, hope she likes it. Jim isn't used to the whole "haggling" concept so everytime that he would ask someone how much an item was, of course they jacked up the price 3 times. I told him that when they look at him they think "big white American must have money" so he decided that I should be the bad guy and talk everyone down on their price. Usually when I bargain, whatever number they throw out, I cut it by at least 2/3 and then go from there and if they don't accept what my final offer is then I start to walk away and they usually concede. My mojo must have been off because everytime I gave my final price they let me walk away. I'm thinking because it was still early in the day and they figure they could rip off someone else later on.

Around the corner from Chinatown is a place called Central Market or Pasar Seni. It used to be an old fish and produce market and to avoid it being torn down, they converted it into like a craft bazaar. I really like this place and even though most of the shops sell similar items, the shop owners themselves actually create their merchandise or ship it in so it's still original. Batik prints are very big here, we visited a batik factory in October and got to see how they hand paint the fabric. I bought 2 silk batik print banners that I plan on using in the house. Jim really needed a haircut so there were several salons in Pasar Seni and he picked one and it was only Chinese women working there. Jim told the lady how he wanted his hair cut and someone else had to translate what he wanted so already he's scared that his hair is going to be all messed up. The odd part was when she was done she asked Jim if he wanted a shampoo and he said yes so he got up to like follow her to a sink and she made him sit back down. That's when I whipped out my camera, she put plastic around his neck and squirted what I think is shampoo on his hair and then some other gel like liquid, and proceeded to give him a head and neck massage while washing his hair. When she finished is when she took him to the sink and washed it out. She wanted to style his hair but by this time Jim was ready to go. He's the type of person who thinks that a haircut shouldn't take more than 1/2 an hour. It cost 28 Rm ( $9.25) which I didn't think was too bad considering it came with a massage, had I got mine cut it would have been 35 RM ($11.50). While in the area we found a place called UO Superstore that actually carried big and tall clothes so we might not need a tailor after all.

It was late afternoon by now and on the way into Chinatown we saw a sign that said Reggae Bar so we decided to go and check out. This place really should be called "The Bob Marley Shrine", because everything inside was Bob Marley but someone thought calling it "Reggae Bar" was quite creative. Inside was nice and cool but a little dingy, I could see this being the type of place that's really happening at night. My big thought was, the Jamaicans were a long way from home. We only stayed for a little bit but it will go on my list of places to take my friends if they come and visit. I'm slowly collaborating one just in case I have to become a guide.

On Sunday I really wanted to shop at some other places for furniture so we went to a place called Ampang Point because I heard that there was a Courts furniture store located there. I know that I've mentioned the Malay campaign "Aren't we courteous?" well that idea was pretty much left behind by everyone in this mall. People just walk in front of you cutting you off, then abruptly stopping for no reason. It continued when we went to Tesco where we bought a microwave, Jim almost got hit by a minivan speeding through the parking lot! Jim said he thought about ramming his shopping cart into the van which we both agreed probably would not have been a good thing to do. Plus the rain was coming down hard and it was raining for most of the day, everyone we've talked to says that the monsoon season started late which is why we're seeing more rain everyday but it should end soon. The whole day Sunday was worse than going into a Wal-mart on Sunday, you know you shouldn't do it but for some reason you do and you regret it later. Needless to say after shopping we were just ready to head home and get away from everyone else.

Tomorrow I will attempt to mail some packages, the post office is called POS and I've often heard people refer to it as Piece of S@#!t or Snail Mail so I'm curious to see how long it will take for my parcels to arrive. Also I'm determined to find the Courts furniture store. I'll let you know how it goes. See you!!

No comments: