Wednesday, March 5, 2008

March 6 2008

The big event today was that I got my rental car and started driving around Malaysia. The biggest difference between driving in the US and Malaysia is that I tend to drift a bit to the left I believe because I am adjusting to the steering wheel being on the right hand side. You have to be very aggressive driving on the highways and roads becauase otherwise you will not get anywhere and will be trapped in a lane. Another issue is that the levers for the blinkers and windshield wipers are reversed. Many times I went to signal a lane change and instead of the blinkers coming on the windshield wipers came on instead. I still do not know if I got lost on my way home or if traffic was really bad...(I am pretty sure that I got lost) but I found my way home and am excited to try and get to work tomorrow. I was informed when I got the car that if I had an accident that I was to find out if the other driver was going to inform the police and if not than we just drive away and forget about the matter but if the other driver is going to inform the police than I have 48 hours to notify the police as well. Basically as long as the damage is less than 1000 rm than it is better just to fix it yourself and move on because the insurance does not kick in until that amount. The other thing is I have no idea how fast I am going because the speedometer is all in KM/H and I don't know the conversion factor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jim at least you do not have Brian's sense of direction. You have a chance of making it back and forth to work in the same day!